Local Events: Things to do in Kewaunee County
Send your organization’s events and activities to [email protected] or P.O. Box 86, Kewaunee, WI 54216, preferably two weeks in advance but no later than noon Tuesday for the Saturday edition.
Through Aug. 18
• ADULT SUMMER READING PROGRAM: Participants sign up at the circulation desk and pick up Read 2 Get 1 Free slips to get started. Once participants read two books they turn in their slips for a coupon for a free paperback at the Algoma Library Friends’ bookstore, Book Corner, 401 Third St., Algoma.
Through Aug. 13
• TOURNAMENT FUNDRAISER, Davister’s Ball Field Sugarbush, 5970 Humboldt Road, Luxemburg. Rob DeGrand Memorial Foundation fundraiser. 16-team slowpitch softball tournament. Bean bag toss, 7 p.m. Friday (sign up at ballfield). Blind Man Volleyball tournament, Gary Thiry Memorial 5K walk, milk bottle tournament, all Saturday. Luminary light celebration, fireworks at dusk. Silent auction, raffle, children’s games, food and refreshments all weekend. Pat Donovan, 920-609-5221, or John DeGrand, 920-845-9471.
• SHANTY DAYS, 3 p.m.-midnight Aug. 11, 11 a.m.-midnight Aug. 12 and 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Aug. 13, Lake Michigan waterfront, Algoma. Juried arts and crafts fair, Aug 12-13. Parade, noon Aug. 12. Fireworks, dusk Aug. 13. Food, music, fireworks, beach volleyball, book sale, fishing contest. $10 wristband at the gate for ages 12 and older; $5 Sunday only. Free entry, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. www.algomachamber.org/shanty-days.
Saturday, Aug. 12
• SUMMER WINE FEST SERIES, noon-5 p.m., Parallel 44 Vineyard & Winery, N2185 Sleepy Hollow Road, Stangelville. Wine, vineyard tours. Live music by Greg McMonagle, noon; David Dean and the Soul Inspirations, Aug. 12. Wine sampling ($6) includes five samples and a Parallel 44 signature wine glass. Dos Chiles food truck. 888-932-0044 or www.44wineries.com.
• SUMMER CUISINE CONCERT, 1:30-5 p.m., von Stiehl Winery, 115 Navarino St., Algoma. Classic rock by Beaker Street. Food from Skaliwags. Craft beer from Ahnapee Brewery. Sample von Stiehl’s wines in the Civil War era building. Tour underground limestone tunnels. Free admission. Wine, beer, food, water and soda sold. www.vonstiehl.com.
Sunday, Aug. 13
• MUSIC IN THE PARK, 5:30-8 p.m., Harbor Park, 212 Harrison St., Kewaunee. Blues/jazz with the Big Mouth Trio. Food sold by Holy Rosary. Bring a lawn chair or blanket. Picnicking welcome. Rain location, Port ‘O Call or Lakehaven Hall (no carry-ins at rain locations).
HAPPY HOPPERS DANCE, 1-5 p.m. Aug. 13, Rendezvous of Luxemburg, E896 County N, Luxemburg. Music by Jerry Voelker Orchestra. $7. 920-845-5616.
PORKIE AND PANCAKE BREAKFAST, 7 a.m.-noon, Algoma Fire Station, 400 Third St. Hosted by Algoma Fire and Rescue.
• ROGER TESKE TRACTOR PULL, 10:30 a.m., E5270 Sixth Road, Algoma. Free admission. Food by Algoma FFA alumni. Dave Jerabek, 920-304-0047.
• GUN RAFFLE/BRAT FRY, noon , Outskirtz Saloon, 2328 New Franken Road, New Franken. Horseshoe tournament, raffles, DJ. Proceeds benefit New Franken Fire Department.
Monday, Aug. 14
• SHEEPSHEAD, 1 p.m. Mondays, Kewaunee Community Congregational Church, 502 Center St., Kewaunee. Public cards the first and third Mondays of the month; Golden Age cards, second and fourth Mondays.
• CASCO AMERICAN LEGION WOMEN’S AUXILIARY POST 319 MEETING, 6:30 p.m., Casco Village Hall, 211 First St., lower level. 920-660-1424
Tuesday, Aug. 15
• KEWAUNEE OPTIMISTS CLUB, 7 a.m. first and third Tuesdays, Kunkels Korner, 301 Ellis St., Kewaunee.
Wednesday, Aug. 16
• USED BOOK SALE, 3-7 p.m. Wednesdays, 1325 Ellis St., Kewaunee. Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
• COMFORT CAFÉ … FOR THOSE WITH MEMORY LOSS, 2:30-4 p.m. third Wednesday of the month, Amy’s Coffee House, 406 Milwaukee St., Kewaunee. Share your stories and socialize with others living with memory loss. Also, volunteers needed. 877-416-7083.
AUG. 16, 19
• RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES, 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Aug. 16, Immanuel Lutheran Church, 1000 Wisconsin Ave., Kewaunee; and 8 a.m.-noon Aug. 19, St. Louis School Hall, N8710 County Line Road, Dyckesville. 1-800-733-2767 or www.redcrossblood.org for appointments..
Thursday, Aug. 17
• LITTLE SPROUTS PLAYGROUP, 9:30-10:30 a.m. first and third Thursdays of the month, St. Paul’s Lutheran School, 1115 Division St., Algoma. Bible story circle time, play room and gym time for newborns to age 5 with their caregivers.
• GOSPEL MUSIC, 6:30 p.m., Country Bible Church in Casco. Southern-style Gospel with Mark Dubbeld Family. 920-845-9356.
• MUSIC IN THE PARK, 6-9 p.m., Heritage Park, City Marina, Algoma. Cover rock with 18 Days. Free admission. Bring a chair or blanket. Carry-ins welcome.
Friday, Aug. 18
• STORY HOUR, 10 a.m., Algoma Public Library, 406 Fremont St. For ages 3-6. 920-487-2295.
• PRESCHOOL STORY TIME, 10:30 a.m., Kewaunee Public Library, 822 Juneau St.
• FRIDAY FARMERS MARKET, 8 a.m.-noon, World’s Tallest Grandfather Clock parking lot, Milwaukee Street, Kewaunee. Locally grown produce, canned good, crafts and more.
Saturday, Aug. 19
• ‘SOAR ON THE SHORE.’ 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Crescent Beach, Algoma. Kite festival with kites of all sizes and shapes paint the sky from the Wisconsin Kiters Club. DJ music by Kurt Colburn. Kite candy drop, kite kits, windsock art project, games and sand toys on the beach. Create a beach mosaic using tools provided. Free; kites, food and refreshments available for purchase; raffle proceeds support beach improvement projects. Sponsored by Friends of Crescent Beach and Algoma Area Chamber of Commerce. 920-487-2044 or www.algomachamber.org.
• VIOLENCE INTERVENTION PROJECT POKER RUN, 10-11 a.m. registration, Algoma Pizza Bowl, 401 Second St. All motorcycles and vehicles welcome. Stops include Basil’s II, Burdick’s Bar & Grill, Iron Buffalo Saloon, Joe Rouer’s, and Waterfront; return to Algoma Pizza Bowl by 5 p.m. Cash prizes for top three poker hands. Auctions and raffles. Emceed by WFRV-TV anchor Tom Zalaski. $25 per hand includes event T-shirt. Proceeds benefit the Violence Intervention Project, Inc. in Kewaunee County. 920-487-2111.
Sunday, Aug. 20
• BELLY BUMPER CAR & MOTORCYCLE SHOW, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Eaton Town Hall & Denmark Fire Station, 2063 S. New Franken Road, just east of Green Bay. Many classes of vehicles on display. Dash plaques for the first 50 entries. 3 p.m. trophies presented. Firefighters serve burgers, brats, and beverages. Booyah served after 10 a.m. (take-out available). DJ music, belly dancers. Proceeds benefit Denmark Volunteer Fire Department.
• MUSIC IN THE PARK, 6-8 p.m., Fireman Community Park, 231 Maple St. (corner of Second and Maple), Luxemburg. Sounds of the 1950s to the ‘80s with Ken and Shirley. Free admission, carry-ins allowed.
Sunday, Aug. 27
• BELGIAN CELEBRATION, 9:30 a.m. sacred concert, 10:15 a.m. outdoor Polka Mass, St Peters Church-Lincoln, County X, Casco. Polka music by Clete Bellin Orchestra, classic country by Country Memories, booyah, Belgian trippe, hamburgers, desserts. Raffle, silent auction.
This article originally appeared on Wisconsin: Local Events: Things to do in Kewaunee County