Local Events: Things to do in Kewaunee County
Send your organization’s events and activities to [email protected] or P.O. Box 86, Kewaunee, WI 54216, preferably two weeks in advance but no later than noon Tuesday for the Saturday edition.
Through Aug. 18
• ADULT SUMMER READING PROGRAM: Participants sign up at the circulation desk and pick up Read 2 Get 1 Free slips to get started. Once participants read two books they turn in their slips for a coupon for a free paperback at the Algoma Library Friends’ bookstore, Book Corner, 401 Third St., Algoma.
Friday, Aug. 4
• OPENING RECEPTION, 5:30-8 p.m. for opening of “Ceramic Sculpture Culture” exhibit at James May Gallery, 213 Steele St., Algoma. Exhibit runs through Aug. 28. Regular gallery hours 1-5 p.m. Sundays, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Mondays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, and by appointment. 262-753-3130 or www.jamesmaygallery.com.
• RAKU NIGHT, 5-9 p.m., Clay on Steele, 221 Steele St. Algoma. Paint your own clay pot, the watch it be fired and pulled out of the kiln; pizza from Algoma Pizza Bowl. $10 and up, while supplies last. 920-487-3501 or www.facebook.com/ClayOnSteele.
Saturday, Aug. 5
• ST. PAUL LUTHERAN CHURCH RUMMAGE SALE, 8 a.m.-2 p.m., St. Paul Lutheran Church, N4118 County AB, Luxemburg. Everything discounted after noon. Bake sale. (920) 845-2095.
• SUMMER WINE FEST SERIES, noon-5 p.m. Aug. 5, Parallel 44 Vineyard & Winery, N2185 Sleepy Hollow Road, Stangelville. Wine, vineyard tours. Live music by Katie Sculin, noon; and Jeff and Shed Acoustic, 3 p.m. Pay it Forward Ethiopia Food Truck. Wine sampling ($6) includes five samples and a Parallel 44 signature wine glass. 888-932-0044 or www.44wineries.com.
• CARLTON FIRE DEPARTMENT & FIRST RESPONDERS SUMMER BASH, 4-11 p.m., Carlton Fire Station, N1296 Town Hall Road, Kewaunee. Live music by the Greatest Hits Polka Band, food, raffle and inflatables. Fundraiser. 920-388-4562.
• SUMMER CUISINE CONCERT, 12:30-4 p.m., von Stiehl Winery, 115 Navarino St., Algoma. Music by the Kevin Crocker Jazz Quartet. Wine, beer, food, water and soda will be sold. Free admission. No carry-ins. 920-487-5208 or www.vonstiehl.com.
• CASCO-LINCOLN AREA EMS PARTY, 9 a.m., Tippy Canoe Bar & Grill, E3261 County C, Casco. Car show, volleyball tournament, craft and vendor tent, kids’ activities. Live music by Antique Rock Show and Run Carolina. Free admission. Proceeds benefit the Casco-Lincoln EMS. Brad LeGreve, 920-680-1111.
Saturday-Sunday, Aug. 5-6
• CZECH & KOLACHE FESTIVAL, 10 a.m., Agricultural Heritage Farm, N2251 State 42, Kewaunee. JoAnn Vogel demonstrates kolache baking. Kroj Style Show features costumes and clothes from Czech ancestors, modeled and narrated. Moravian Society Dancers of Chicago, Barushka Dancers. Patrick Dewane, grandson of Lt. Colonel Matt Konop, presents “Accidental Hero,” 3 p.m. in the pavilion Aug. 5. Outdoor food and beer gardens. Music by Mark Jirikovec Czech Band and Newtonburg Brass Band. Moravian Dancers, Aug. 6. 920-682-6615, 920-660-0156, [email protected] or [email protected].
Sunday, Aug. 6
• MUSIC IN THE PARK, 5:30-8 p.m., Harbor Park, 212 Harrison St., Kewaunee. Entertainment by Jeff Stoeger and Shed Dog, with food sold by Kewaunee Health & Fitness. Bring a lawn chair or blanket. Picnicking welcome. Rain location, Port ‘O Call or Lakehaven Hall (no carry-ins at rain locations).
Monday, Aug. 7
• MOONRIDERS SNOWMOBILE CLUB MEETING, 7:30 p.m., M.J.’s Footbridge Bar, N3850 County C, Kewaunee. 920-255-1439.
• SHEEPSHEAD, 1 p.m. Mondays, Kewaunee Community Congregational Church, 502 Center St., Kewaunee. Public cards the first and third Mondays of the month; Golden Age cards second and fourth Mondays.
Wednesday, Aug. 9
• USED BOOK SALE, 3-7 p.m. Wednesdays, 1325 Ellis St., Kewaunee. Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
Thursday, Aug. 10
• MUSIC IN THE PARK, 6-8 p.m., Fireman Community Park, 231 Maple St. (corner of Second and Maple), Luxemburg. Greatest Hits Polka Band. Free admission, carry-ins allowed.
Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 10-13
• TOURNAMENT FUNDRAISER, Davister’s Ball Field Sugarbush, 5970 Humboldt Road, Luxemburg. Rob DeGrand Memorial Foundation fundraiser. 16-team slowpitch softball tournament. Bean bag toss, 7 p.m. Friday (sign up at ballfield). Blind Man Volleyball tournament, Gary Thiry Memorial 5K walk, milk bottle tournament, all Saturday. Luminary light celebration, fireworks at dusk. Silent auction, raffle, children’s games, food and refreshments all weekend. Pat Donovan, 920-609-5221, or John DeGrand, 920-845-9471.
Friday, Aug. 11
• STORY HOUR, 10 a.m., Algoma Public Library, 406 Fremont St. For ages 3-6. 920-487-2295.
• PRESCHOOL STORY TIME, 10:30 a.m., Kewaunee Public Library, 822 Juneau St.
• FRIDAY FARMERS MARKET, 8 a.m.-noon, World’s Tallest Grandfather Clock parking lot, Milwaukee Street, Kewaunee. Locally grown produce, canned good, crafts and more.
• ALGOMA LIBRARY FRIENDS BOOK SALE, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Book Corner, 401 State St., Algoma. Proceeds from this sale (and all other sales) benefit the Algoma Public Library. Regular hours at the Book Corner, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Fridays-Sundays. 920-495-8440.
Friday-Sunday, Aug. 11-13
• SHANTY DAYS, 3 p.m.-midnight Aug. 11, 11 a.m.-midnight Aug. 12 and 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Aug. 13, Lake Michigan waterfront, Algoma. Juried arts and crafts fair, Aug 12-13. Parade, noon Aug. 12. Fireworks, dusk Aug. 13. Food, music, fireworks, beach volleyball, book sale, fishing contest. Wristband ($10) for ages 12 and older. $5 Sunday only. Free entry, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. www.algomachamber.org/shanty-days.
Saturday, Aug. 12
• SUMMER WINE FEST SERIES, noon-5 p.m., Parallel 44 Vineyard & Winery, N2185 Sleepy Hollow Road, Stangelville. Wine, vineyard tours. Live music by Greg McMonagle, noon; David Dean and the Soul Inspirations, Aug. 12. Wine sampling ($6) includes five samples and a Parallel 44 signature wine glass. Dos Chiles food truck. 888-932-0044 or www.44wineries.com.
Sunday, Aug. 13
HAPPY HOPPERS DANCE, 1-5 p.m. Aug. 13, Rendezvous of Luxemburg, E896 County N, Luxemburg. Music by Jerry Voelker Orchestra. $7. 920-845-5616.
PORKIE AND PANCAKE BREAKFAST, 7 a.m.-noon, Algoma Fire Station, 400 Third St. Hosted by Algoma Fire and Rescue.
• ROGER TESKE TRACTOR PULL, 10:30 a.m., E5270 Sixth Road, Algoma. Free admission. Food by Algoma FFA alumni. Dave Jerabek, 920-304-0047.
Tuesday, Aug. 15
• KEWAUNEE OPTIMISTS CLUB, 7 a.m. first and third Tuesdays, Kunkels Korner, 301 Ellis St., Kewaunee.
Wednesday, Aug. 16
• COMFORT CAFÉ … FOR THOSE WITH MEMORY LOSS, 2:30-4 p.m. third Wednesday of the month, Amy’s Coffee House, 406 Milwaukee St., Kewaunee. Share your stories and socialize with others living with memory loss. Also, volunteers needed. 877-416-7083.
Thursday, Aug. 17
• LITTLE SPROUTS PLAYGROUP, 9:30-10:30 a.m. first and third Thursdays of the month, St. Paul’s Lutheran School, 1115 Division St., Algoma. Bible story circle time, play room and gym time for newborns to age 5 with their caregivers.
• GOSPEL MUSIC, 6:30 p.m., Country Bible Church in Casco. Southern-style Gospel with Mark Dubbeld Family. 920-845-9356.
• MUSIC IN THE PARK, 6-9 p.m., Heritage Park, City Marina, Algoma. Cover rock with 18 Days. Free admission. Bring a chair or blanket. Carry-ins welcome.
This article originally appeared on Wisconsin: Local Events: Things to do in Kewaunee County