Memories from the Kewaunee County news archives
40 years ago: 1978
Luxemburg: Gary Reynen and Bob Heim won NorthBrook County Club's second Cuyoo tournament. Lester Tebon and Porkie Massart took second and Randy Wautlet and Dennis Buhr came in third.
Montpelier: St. Paul Lutheran school principal Roger Fischer was honored for his 25 years in the Lutheran teaching profession. William Reckelberg served as master of ceremonies at the event, which attracted about 325 guests.
Luxemburg: Charlie Schmidt has the details about the Walter Hagen Golf Tournament for cancer research. The event takes place on the courses at Alaskan Motor Inn and NorthBrook County Club.
Kewaunee: Adm. Grant Brandt told the hospital board that groundbreaking for the $1.185 million hospital renovation is anticipated before the end of June.
60 years ago: 1958
Slovan: Worachek’s Hall is the site of Sunday afternoon and evening schafskopf (sheepshead) tournaments with admission benefiting St. Adelbert’s church and cemetery. There are cash prizes for high scores in addition to other prizes and lunch.
Tonet: Cancer Crusade chairman Mrs. Lewis Lemens thanks both her co-workers for help in the drive, as well as those who donated.
Pilsen: Pfc. James Nejedlo is participating in Exercise Eagle Wing, a 101st Airbone Division maneuver at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. Nejedlo entered the basic training in 1956 and is a combat construction specialist.
75 years ago: 1943
Countywide: A representative of the U.S. War Manpower Committee will be here referring people to war and farm jobs open immediately, or to war training and agricultural employment courses through the U.S. Employment Service.
West Kewaunee: Cadet Adrian O’Konski surprised his parents when he came home on furlough. He was transferred from Maxwell Field in Alabama to an air base near Nashville.
Kewaunee: A government contract for 51 seagoing tugs was received this week by Kewaunee Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. Work will begin as soon as possible. The sixth of 11 cargo vessels was just launched and was sponsored by Miss Florence Ratajczak of the company’s office staff.
100 years ago: 1918
Ahnapee: The Fourth Street bridge has been condemned and is closed to traffic. The closing will likely force the construction of a new bridge during the coming summer. Intentions are to build a concrete bridge from specifications that will come from federal authorities.
Alaska: An event of importance will take place here as a number of educational men with statewide reputations signified their intention to take part at the dedication exercises of the new school building.
Boloslav: The ladies who were appointed lieutenants for the Council of Defense were kept busy canvassing area women in the interest of the Third Liberty Loan.
125 years ago: 1893
Lincoln: Henry Gigot is making arrangements for holding several dances at his commodious hall during the coming summer.
Langworthy: A pocketbook containing of sum of money lost by Mr. Baldwin was found by Charles Boedecker of Ahnapee, who returned to its owner upon identification.
Rio Creek: Lohrey Brothers and Hoppe are doing a prosperous business in their store and saloon. Their cheese factory promises to be crowded with work and they will fit up the picnic grounds which were well patronized last season.
140 years ago: 1878
Kewaunee: J.W. Coapman, attorney at law and U.S. Court Commissioner, announced his office on Ellis Street opposite Brandes’ Brewery.
Ahnapee: Spearing fish is a pleasant pass time for boys. Tributaries to the Ahnapee afford splendid opportunities and the lads are quick to avail themselves.
Foscoro: C.B. Post has the contract for building a new 26-by-36-foot schoolhouse for the district.
Bottkolville: Matt Bottkol returned from Chicago where he went to dispose a cargo of basswood taken out by the Evening Star. He said he lost several hundred dollars in that shipment.
This article originally appeared on Green Bay Press-Gazette: Memories from the Kewaunee County news archives