For the Star-News
ALGOMA – The Shoreland League’s Algoma ‘Guins have been honoring alumni at their home games this season and, on July 11, before the ‘Guins played Manitowoc, the team took a moment to recognize Frank Bowerman, whose resume in local athletics is lengthy.
Highlights of his local athletics career include:
• Frank played for the Penguins for six seasons from 1962-72, mostly as the team’s second baseman.
• He was known as a good teammate who led by example with an upbeat, encouraging attitude.
• He was a long time teacher at St. Paul’s Lutheran School, where he coached football, basketball (boys and girls), softball (boys and girls) and track and field (boys and girls).
• Bowerman has refereed or been an umpire at literally thousands of games all across the state.
• Frank umpired baseball for many years and is a member of the Green Bay Officials Association