From the Kewaunee County news archives
40 years ago: 1978
Rosiere: Preparations are being made for St. Hubert’s church picnic. Come on July 30 for Belgian pie and much more.
Kewaunee: There were a few washouts at the Sturgeon Bay Second Annual Slow Pitch Softball Tournament, one of which was when Kewaunee Bowl was nipped 4-3 by Ducat’s Bar.
Birchwood: Rocker, the area’s favorite dance band, is appearing at Brichwood Gardens on Aug. 16 and 26. The high-energy band will be at Roadside in Kewaunee on the 27th.
60 years ago: 1958
Algoma: History was made June 30 when Congress approved Alaska statehood. Mrs. Elmer Durst was visiting family in Fairbanks, Alaska to witness the wingding.
Riverside: Kay Koss and Joann Schmiling attended the camp at Manitowoc for older 4-H members. They participated in crafts, boating and other activities.
Countywide: New postal rates go into effect. First-class mail will be raised to four cents. Mail lacking sufficient postage will be returned.
Countywide: Richard Schneider of Busy Beavers 4-H Club has been named alternate for District 7 Leaders Council. District 7 includes nine counties and has two regular members and an alternate.
75 years ago: 1943
Algoma: Widespread prevalence of measles has caused health officer John Thiard to bar children younger than age 13 from using public bathing places in the city. Approximately 106 cases are prevailing in the city at the present time. Swimming and splashing in cold water before coming down with measles makes the child sicker.
Kewaunee: Remodeling work on the Kewaunee Garage has begun in anticipation of the arrival of machinery to begin operation of the Hansen Glove corporation in a few weeks. Kewaunee Garage moved into the former Crescent Creamery.
Alaska: W.E. Anderegg is planning a recreation center to be built at Alaska Resort which is owned and operated by Mrs. George Hruska. It will include a bowling alley set-up of 8 drives. The property is located on the lake, which offers additional development possibilities.
Kodan: Curtis Hagness disposed of his store and cheese factory to Mr. and Mrs. Louis Kolarik of Denmark. Mr. and Mrs. Hagness have no definite future plans.
100 years ago: 1918
Woodside: Mr. Ernest Braun had a telephone installed in his residence. A telephone was also installed at Stony Beach in the Zander cottage
Lincoln: A farewell party was given at Entringer and Hucek’s hall in honor of the soldier boys who will leave. A large crowd attended, and a sum of $34.75 was donated to the Red Cross branch.
125 years ago: 1893
Ahnapee: Harry Hayen, who recently purchased the City Meat Market outfit and business from Graessel Bros., arrived from Chicago with his family. Mr. Hayen has had several years of experience and will no doubt receive a full share of patronage.
Kewaunee: Herman Detjen, superintendent for Kewaunee Furniture Co., was called to his home in Ahnapee by the receipt of the sad intelligence that his wife’s mother, Mrs. Raduenz, had died the day previous.
Ahnapee: The new schooner scow Emily Taylor, built here by Capt. H. Johnson last spring, is on her maiden trip, clearing last Monday, light for the north.
140 years ago: 1878
Rosiere: A new joint schoolhouse is being built on the county line. The building is to be 20-by-40 feet and 14 feet high. It will be built by a Red River carpenter for the sum of $300, furnished key in hand.
Ahnapee: John Fax has timothy grass heads measuring 12 inches in length. That scoops all the rest and equals the timothy of the Green Bay Advocate.
Kewaunee: Mr. Jos. Pospiail, assisted by Miss Libbie Stransky, Messrs. Fred Brunkhorst, M. Erichsen and several other accomplished musicians, will give a concert at Weilep’s Hall. Admission is 30 cents for this first-class concert.
This article originally appeared on Green Bay Press-Gazette: From the Kewaunee County news archives