Memories from the Kewaunee County news archives
40 years ago: 1978
Pierce: Town voters in the Algoma school district voted 2-1 in favor of authorizing a tax levy increase to cover actual fire protection expenses for residents residing within the district.
Rosiere: The third annual spring afternoon and evening card party series runs from April 9 to May 7 at St. Hubert Parish Center. Booyah will be served on the 9th and chili on the 16th.
Dyckesville: Jerry Olson is the new owner of the Moudry Meat Market, which has been in existence since 1936. Olson was a meat manager at Denny’s Red Owl in Algoma.
Algoma: When Ione VanPrice took her seat as 3rd Ward alderperson, she became the first woman to sit on the common council in its 80-year history.
60 years ago: 1958
Countywide: The county board informally authorized a telegram to President Dwight Eisenhower asking that he not veto a bill to temporarily stay any reduction in farm support prices or acreage until a reasonable program is worked out.
Algoma: Excavating began for a 90-by-115-foot, one-story building for Algoma Wood Industries, a new firm organized earlier this year. General Manager Mahlon Dier hopes the structure will be in use for the production of pails within a few months.
Slovan: Final arrangements have been made for a card party given by Western Bohemian Fraternal Association Lodge No. 365 to be held at the lodge hall.
75 years ago: 1943
Countywide: All tavern blinds must go up at 1 a.m. and remain up until 8 in the morning. Sheriff William Brusky announced that the law will be strictly enforced as state law prohibits alcohol between those hours.
Kewaunee: In a newly created job, Mrs. William Brusky was named by the county board as jail matron. She will receive $25 a month.
Luxemburg: Mrs. Paul Hoppe has been named chairman of the block program, part of the Civil Defense set-up. Mrs. Y.A. Fencl is Casco’s block chairman.
100 years ago: 1918
Algoma: A.N. Anderson purchased the Leiberg building last week and is getting it set up for his jewelry store. The building is being redecorated and the store will open about May 1.
Euren: Entringer & Hucek Hall was the site of an interesting talk about the Woman’s Liberty Loan presented by Mrs. Joshua Johns of Algoma. Mrs. Peter Entringer was chosen Lincoln chairman.
Walhain: Henry Frix resigned his position at Casco Lumber Co. to return here, where he will be employed on his father’s farm.
125 years ago: 1893
Bolt: It is said the post office here was named to honor Judge C.G. Boalt and should be spelled Boalt, not Bolt.
Lincoln: Eugene Naze proposes to start up his cheese factory next week. This is weeks earlier than factories in this area usually start up.
Casco: E. Wyman took a considerable quantity of maple syrup to Ahnapee and found ready buyers at $1.10 per gallon. The weather has not been favorable to maple syruping this year.
140 years ago: 1878
Red River: William Barrette will visit scenes of his childhood when he visits Belgium this summer. He will go through the city of Paris to view the World Exposition.
Kewaunee: The Enterprise does not agree with the management of the poor farm and feels commissioners are wise in not stocking and equipping the farm.
Kewaunee: The village has graveled and straightened the road from the bridge leading up the river. Now the village will fix the hill which is an eyesore and laughing stock. When fixed, four horses and an empty wagon will be able to attain the summit without stopping to rest.
This article originally appeared on Green Bay Press-Gazette: Memories from the Kewaunee County news archives